prep time: 25 minutes
Marinate for: 12-16 hours
Grill: 2 hours
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
8-10 scallions, chopped
3 habanero peppers
3-4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tbsp ground allspice (grind the berries for best result)
1 tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon (best to grind from a cinnamon stick)
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
3 pounds bone-in chicken (drumsticks and thighs)
1. Combine marinade ingredients in a food processor until you've got a good liquidy marinade.
2. Trim your chicken of any excess skin/fatty bits.
3. Place the chicken and marinade into a ziplock bag or other container (16 hours).
4. Set up your bbq (charcoal 2-zone fire is the best!) FOR AROUND 250 degrees.
5. Make sure you let your chicken sit out at room temp for about 1/2 hour or so so you aren't cooking cold chicken.
6. Cook the chicken over Indirect Low Heat (See this for information on grilling)
7. Simmer the reserved marinade to kill any raw chicken bacteria for about 1 minute.
8. Brush the chicken with marinade while grilling.
9. Let chicken rest for about 1/2 hour. It can be served the next day after refrigeration for even better results.